You have just completed your HGV Training and now it’s time to take the practical test. Your test should last approximately 1 and ½ hours. This includes tell me show me questions, the reversing exercise, controlled stop and road drive. Your instructor will have explained the test scenario and trained you to the standard required to pass. Here are our top 10 tips to help you get the results you want.
1. Make progress – This is a biggie! Where safe to do so you must make progress. You have to demonstrate you know what the speed limit is and keep up with other traffic.
2. Forward plan – Don’t leave everything to the last minute. Look ahead . Remember your truck takes longer to stop than a car.
3. Use your reversing marker – Using a marker fixed to the trucks rear mud guard will ensure you get the back of the truck into the box perfectly. Your instructor should advise you on this.
4. Licence – Remember both parts of your licence (and theory test certificate). Not having these documents will mean no test.
5. Pre-drive – It’s not advisable to train for hours and hours on test day. You want to be fresh and ready. Not tired and drained. A 40-60 minute pre-drive is recommended.
6. Mirrors! Mirrors! Mirrors! – An important factor before doing anything (moving off, speeding up, changing gear, slowing down, etc.) you must check your mirrors.
7. Gears to go. Brakes to slow – Using your gears to slow down is not accepted and can cost you faults. A competent driver will use the brakes to slow and then select an appropriate gear to proceed.
8. Know your test area – You will not know your test route in advance of your test. It’s a good idea however to be familiar with the testing area.
9. Stopping – You will be required on a number of occasions to stop the vehicle where safe to do so. When the examiner asks you to, don′t continue to drive for another 1/2 mile. Stop safely as soon as possible, apply the handbrake, select neutral and cancel the indicator.
10. Face forward – Face forward when mounting and dismounting the truck. Use the hand rails and steps.
11. Be refreshed – Go to bed early the night before your test.
12. Smooth ride – Remember your examiner is only human. He appreciates a smooth controlled drive like anyone else.
13. Meeting oncoming traffic – Be prepared to slow down and stop your vehicle when meeting oncoming large vehicles. It is much easier to asses awkward situations when stationary or moving slowly.
14. Vehicle checks – Do a pre-use vehicle check prior to your test. While doing your check you can cover all the potential tell me show me questions.
15. Seat belt – Take your seat belt off when carrying out the reversing exercise. It only gets in the way. Remember to put it on again once the manoeuvre is complete.
16. More mirrors – You must always check your mirrors and blind spot when moving off from any stationary position.
17. Dress appropriately – You don’t need to wear a suit! Comfortable work boots and attire would suffice.
18. Don’t dwell on mistakes – You can commit up to 15 minor faults and still pass your LGV practical driving test. If you make a mistake, move on and forget about it. Dwelling on prior mistakes creates more mistakes.
19. Reversing Exercise – You can take up to 2 shunts, if required. If you take a shunt. Make use of it. You can also get out of the vehicle once. You should use this to ensure you have placed the rear of the truck in the correct place.
20. Switch of your mobile.
21. Time to celebrate – When you pass please refrain from kissing the examiner. He’s only doing his job.
For more information on HGV Training find an expert provider.